Network for Ethnic Diversity in Film Education
IBF Education is recruiting members for a new network for ethnic diversity in film education. We welcome teachers of any level of experience or seniority, probably but not necessarily teaching English, film and media, in secondary schools across England and Wales.
About the Network for Ethnic Diversity in Film Education
The Network for Ethnic Diversity in Film Education is a group of ethnically diverse practicing teachers using film in their teaching, from across England.
It is supported by a partnership between IBF Education and Into Film, in collaboration with the English and Media Center (EMC), all committed to supporting a vision of education that reflects our ethnically diverse society and the way it is represented.
These organizations each lead the support and guidance of teachers who use film and media; for more information on their work, check out their programs at IBF Education, Into Film and English and Media Center.
About the role
We are looking for teachers who enjoy teaching and exploring film with students and who have the energy, commitment and relevant lived experience to help develop their subjects, with a focus on increasing stories and ethnically diverse voices.
Film offers enormous potential for teachers to integrate a wide range of related content and discussion into their teaching, and the network is dedicated to finding ways to do this. By welcoming teachers from diverse ethnic backgrounds to apply, IBF Education is committed to supporting a responsive, inclusive and ambitious process of change.
The Network for Ethnic Diversity in Film Education will be autonomous, using its own criteria and expertise to define its program and terms of reference to examine the process of changing the text at the policy level. Supported by a dedicated network coordinator and liaison person from both IBF Education and Into Film, the network is invited to liaise at the higher level with partner organisations.
He will be free to:
- provide advice and guidance
- make proposals to partner organizations to respond to
- model and test emerging best practices
- publish, speak and present
With your help, the network can guide, challenge and support the teaching of cinema at school, a reflection of our diverse society and its representation.
- six meetings per year, with some extra time to track meeting actions
- meetings last no longer than two hours and are held at dusk or on weekends to try to accommodate everyone’s needs
- two meetings are in person (one to IBF Southbank in London and one in a regional location) and four are on Zoom. The first meeting is at IBF Southbank on Saturday 19 November 2022
- members are paid £50 per meeting plus travel/accommodation costs
- we plan to invite at least 6-12 teachers to join the network
- members are asked to serve two years initially, but if one year is all you can commit to, we’d always be happy to hear from you
We organize an informal meeting Questions and answers session on Zoom where you can meet the network coordinator and IBFin the cinema and EMC Personal. We will be ready to answer any questions about the structure, goals and objectives of the network and what the role entails.
You do not have to attend this session to apply, but we hope it will be a useful opportunity to ask questions.
- Network for Ethnic Diversity in Film Education Recruitment Questions and answers meeting: (date To confirm)
If you would like to attend this session or have any further questions, email Sareta Puri: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to register
Complete the secure online form and send an email and/or a short video telling us:
- who you are and where you are in your teaching career
- why you would like to join the Network for Ethnic Diversity in Film Education
- what qualities and skills you think you can bring
If you would like to submit a video, please send a downloadable file (MP4, MOV Where AVI) or a viewing link. Videos should be no longer than three minutes.
Email your cover letter and/or video link to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is Monday, October 31, 2022. Applicants will be notified if their application has been successful by Friday, November 4, 2022.